We’ve put together a list of health resources and supportive services for all 34 eastern North Carolina counties in the Access East service area. We’ve broken things down by types of service, since organizing everything by individual counties would produce a massive, difficult-to-navigate list.
Please note that while we strive to keep this information current, community resources change regularly, so you may encounter something out-of-date here. If so, we’d be grateful if you’d let us know so we can correct the listed information as quickly as possible, for everyone’s benefit; please drop us a note through our Contact Form, or email to email@example.com, with COMMUNITY RESOURCES in the subject line.
Click the links immediately below to be taken to that section of information.
- Community Health Centers
- Health Departments
- Medicaid Doctors, Specialists, and Dentists
- Mental Health and Behavioral Health
- N.C. Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS)
- Social Services Departments
- Public Transportation
- Other Resources
Specifically, we mean what are known as federally qualified health centers, or FQHCs. These community-based regional clinics provide patient-centered healthcare that brings together high quality medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, and supportive services, without regard to a person’s ability to pay. There are a number of them in our 34-county coverage area, often with multiples per county, though they are not found in all 34 counties.
Note that this list, current as of fall 2022, is not of every FQHC in our region; it only includes clinics, and only those with permanent addresses. (The practice/office/physician name appears in bold.)
- Washington: Agape Health Services’ Agape Community Health Center – Washington, 120 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive; (252) 940-0602
- Roanoke Chowan Community Health Center’s Colerain Primary Care, 109 W. River St.; (252) 356-2404
- Lewiston Woodville: Bertie County Rural Health Association’s Lewiston Medical Center, 307 S. Main St.; (252) 348-2545
- Windsor: Bertie County Rural Health Association’s Windsor Community Medical Center, 104 Rhodes Ave.; (252) 794-3042
- Garland: Goshen Medical Center, 105 S. Lisbon Ave.; (910) 529-1827
- Tar Heel: CommWell Health of Tar Heel, 16526 NC Hwy. 87 West; (877) 935-5255
- Bolivia: CommWell Health of Bolivia, 4311 Old Ocean Highway; (877) 935-5255
- Shalotte: CommWell Health of Shalotte, 341 Whiteville Road NW; (877) 935-5255
- Southport: Goshen Medical Center, 4654 Long Beach Road SE; (910) 457-0070
All Columbus County locations are operated by Goshen Medical Center; the individual locations below can be found on the main website.
- Bolton: Goshen Medical Center, 213 Ninth St.; (910) 212-6918
- Chadbourn: Goshen Medical Center, 110 North Brown St.; (910) 654-1701
- Tabor City: Goshen Medical Center and Goshen Medical Center Tabor City Dental, 270 North US 701 Hwy. Bypass; (910) 653-1901 and (910) 377-1700
- Whiteville: Goshen Medical Center and Goshen Medical Center Whiteville Dental, 5 Whiteville Town Center; (910) 212-6613 and (910) 499-9500
- Tyner: Gateway Community Health Center, 2869 Virginia Road; (252) 221-2171
- New Bern: Craven County Health Department, 2818 Neuse Blvd.; (252) 636-4920
- New Bern: Goshen Medical Center, 4114 Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard; (252) 772-9995
All Duplin County locations are operated by Goshen Medical Center; individual locations below can be found on the main website.
- Beaulaville: Goshen Medical Center, 119 Crossover Road; (910) 298-3125
- Faison: Goshen Medical Center, 444 SW Center St.; (910) 267-0421
- Faison: Goshen Medical Center Dental Clinic, 460 SW Center St.; (910) 267-0951
- Kenansville: Goshen Medical Center, 102 N. Main St.; (910) 335-2360
- Rose Hill: Goshen Medical Center Plainview, 360 E. Charity Road; (910) 289-3086
- Wallace: Goshen Medical Center, 110 Eastwood Drive; (910) 285-2330
- Warsaw: Goshen Medical Center, 603 E. College St.; (910) 293-3900
- Warsaw: Goshen Medical Center Warsaw Wellness, 113 S. Pine St., (910) 293-7246
- Rocky Mount: OIC Family Medical Center at Fairview, 111 S. Fairview Road; (252) 446-3333
- Tarboro: Carolina Family Health Center’s Freedom Hill Community Health Center, 162 NC Hwy. 33 East; (252) 641-0514
- Whitakers: Rural Health Group at Whitakers, 105 SE Railroad St.; (252) 437-2171
Both Gates County locations are operated by Gateway Community Health Centers.
- Gatesville: Gateway Community Health Centers, 501 Main St.; (252) 357-1226
- Gatesville: Gateway Community Health Centers’ School-Based Health Center, Gates County High School (student clinic), 88 U.S. Hwy. 158 West; (252) 357-1244
All Greene County locations are operated by Greene County Health Care, Inc. (GCHC).
- Snow Hill: Greene Dental Services, 6 Professional Drive; (252) 747-3846 (location also includes the Mobile Dental Van, providing onsite dental care for elementary school students; 252/747-0096)
- Snow Hill: Kate B. Reynolds Medical Center, 205 Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway; (252) 747-4199
- Snow Hill: Snow Hill Medical Center, 302 N. Greene St.; (252) 747-2921 (location also includes the Mobile Neighborhood Health Services Van, for medical services to farmworkers and migrant workers at their worksites)
- Snow Hill: Student Health Services at Greene Central High School (student clinic), 140 School Drive; (252) 747-3814
All Halifax County locations are operated by Rural Health Group.
- Enfield: Rural Health Group at Enfield, 114 Market St.; (252) 445-2983
- Hollister: Rural Health Group at Twin County, 204 Evans Road; (252) 586-5151
- Littleton: Rural Health Group at Lake Gaston, 108 N. Mosby Ave.; (252) 586-5411
- Roanoke Rapids: Rural Health Group at Roanoke Rapids, 2066 N.C. Hwy. 125; (252) 536-5000
- Roanoke Rapids: Rural Health Group at HRMC (on the ECU Health North Hospital campus), 250 Smith Church Road, Suite RHG; (252) 308-9699
- Roanoke Rapids: Rural Health Group (Pediatrics and Dental), 2064 NC Hwy. 125; (252) 536-5880
- Scotland Neck: Rural Health Group at Scotland Neck, 919 Jr. High School Road; (252) 826-3143
All Hertford County locations are operated by Roanoke Chowan Community Health Center.
- Ahoskie: Ahoskie Comprehensive Care, 120 Health Center Drive; (252) 332-3548
- Murfreesboro: Hertford County Student Wellness Center at Hertford County Middle School (student clinic), 1850 NC Hwy. 11 North; (252) 396-0401
- Murfreesboro: Murfreesboro Primary Care, 305 Beechwood Blvd.; (252) 398-3323
- Engelhard: Engelhard Medical Center, 33270 U.S. Hwy. 264; (252) 925-7000
- Ocracoke: Ocracoke Health Center, 305 Back Road; (252) 928-15111
- Kinston: Kinston Community Health Center, 324 N. Queen St.; (252) 522-9800
- Williamston: Agape Health Services, 1130 Godwin Road; (252) 789-0401
- Rocky Mount: OIC Family Medical Center at Happy Hill, 300 N. Grace St.; (252) 210-9856
New Hanover County:
- Wilmington: MedNorth Health Center, 925 N. Fourth Street; (910) 343-0271
All Northampton County locations are operated by Rural Health Group.
- Jackson: Rural Health Group at Jackson, 9425 NC Hwy. 305; (252) 534-1661
- Jackson: Rural Health Group Dental at Jackson, 9409 NC Hwy. 305; (252) 536-5920
- Rich Square: Rural Health Group at Rich Square, 200 S. Main St.; (252) 539-2082
- Jacksonville: Goshen Medical Center, New River, 1200 Hargett St.; (910) 219-1082
- Bayboro: Greene County Health Care’s Pamlico Community Health Center, 313 Main St.; (252) 745-2070
- Elizabeth City: Gateway Community Health Center, 201 E. Ehringhaus St.; (252) 333-1047
- Atkinson: Black River Health Services at Atkinson and Manos Unidas, 109 West Church St.; (910) 283-7783
- Burgaw: Black River Family Practice Burgaw, 301 S. Campbell St.; (910) 259-5721
- Maple Hill: Maple Hill Medical Center at Maple Hill, 4811 NC Hwy. 50; (910) 259-6444
- Willard: CommWell Health of Penderlea, 5531 Eleanor Roosevelt Lane; (877) 935-5255
- Creswell: Roanoke Chowan Community Health Center’s Creswell Primary Care, 9500 NC Hwy. 94 North; (252) 797-0135
All Wayne County locations are operated by Goshen Medical Center; individual locations below can be found on the main website.
- Fremont: Goshen Medical Center, 109 S. Sycamore St.; (919) 242-4382
- Mount Olive: Goshen Medical Center, Lambert, 130 NE Center St.; (919) 658-2505
- Goldsboro: Goshen Medical Center, Rosewood Dental, 104-C Adair Drive; (919) 648-4437
- Goldsboro: Goshen Medical Center, Rosewood Medical, 104 Adair Drive; (919) 648-4435
Both Wilson County locations are operated by Carolina Family Health Centers, Inc.
- Elm City: Harvest Family Health Center, 8250 NC Hwy. 58 South; (252) 443-7744
- Wilson: Wilson Community Health Center, 303 E. Green St.; (252) 243-9800
Click here to be taken to a list of Health Directors across the state, then simply pick your own county from the drop-down menu and, in the new page that opens, click on the director’s name to be taken to a page that will include an easy-to-find website link. Now click that link to go to your county’s site, and you should have no trouble finding that department’s address and other contact information.
Here you’ll find all hospitals (excluding inpatient psychiatric hospitals) in our 34-county service area.
Note that if you or someone with you is having a true medical emergency, do NOT take the time to look up your own closest hospital, but call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Ahoskie (in Hertford County): ECU Health Roanoke-Chowan Hospital
- Bolivia (Brunswick County): Brunswick Community Hospital
- Burgaw (Pender County): Novant Health Pender Medical Center
- Edenton (Chowan County): ECU Health Chowan Hospital
- Elizabeth City (Pasquotank County): Sentara Albemarle Medical Center
- Elizabethtown (Bladen County): Cape Fear Valley Bladen County Hospital
- Goldsboro (Wayne County): Wayne UNC Health Care
- Greenville (Pitt County): ECU Health Medical Center
- Jacksonville(Onslow County): Onslow Memorial Hospital
- Kenansville (Duplin County): Vidant Duplin Hospital
- Kinston (Lenoir County): UNC Lenoir Health Care
- Nags Head (Dare County): The Outer Banks Hospital
- New Bern (Craven County): CarolinaEast Medical Center
- Morehead City (Carteret County): Carteret Health Care
- Roanoke Rapids (Halifax County): ECU Health North Hospital
- Rocky Mount (Nash and Edgecombe counties): Nash General Hospital
- Southport (Brunswick County): Dosher Memorial Hospital
- Tarboro (Edgecombe County): ECU Health Edgecombe Hospital
- Washington (Beaufort County): ECU Health Beaufort Hospital
- Whiteville (Columbus County): Columbus Regional Healthcare System
- Williamston (Martin County): Martin General Hospital
- Wilmington (New Hanover County): Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- Wilson (Wilson County): Wilson Medical Center
- Windsor (Bertie County): ECU Health Bertie Hospital
If you’re interested in seeing any of providers linked to below, please confirm with them first that they are still accepting new Medicaid patients.
Go here to access a list of specialist physicians, listed by county, who have accepted Medicaid in the past.
Go here and follow either of the provided links under “Medicaid Dental Providers” to find practices that accept Medicaid or Health Choice. Note that the first link, “List of NC Medicaid Dental Providers,” takes you to page where the search tool is a bit more streamlined, and easier to navigate.
Medicaid-covered behavioral health services in our 34-county service area are coordinated by two different MCOs, or managed-care organizations:
The MCOs do not currently provide direct care to Medicaid patients, but rather help establish relationships with providers for mental health, substance-use issues, and intellectual/developmental disability services.
Consult the Regional Behavioral Health Map to see which MCO covers your own county.
This link takes you to the main NCDHHS page, connecting you to a wealth of information and resources related to North Carolina’s management and delivery of health- and human-related services, particularly for some of our state’s most vulnerable citizens, including children, the elderly, the disabled, and low-income families.
The NCDHHS itself is divided into multiple divisions and offices, though all fall under four broad categories: health, human services, administrative, and support functions.
Use this map at the main N.C. Department of Health and Human Services website to find your local Department of Social Services office. Click over the outline of your own county, and basic contact information for that DSS office should appear.
We’ve also included a link to the most recent list of all DSS offices across the state, arranged by county, with contact information included for each office.
Not all parts of our 34-county service area have public-transportation services, but below is a list of providers who do, arranged by counties or cities of service. You’ll find contact information at each link and, often, hours of service as well.
- Beaufort County, including Washington: look for Beaufort Area Transit System in the drop-down menu
- Bertie County: Choanoke Public Transportation Authority (CPTA)
- Bladen County: Bladen Area Rural Transportation System (BARTS)
- Brunswick County: Brunswick Transit System
- Camden County: Inter-County Public Transportation Authority (ICPTA)
- Chowan County: Inter-County Public Transportation Authority (ICPTA)
- Columbus County: Columbus County Transportation
- Currituck County: Inter-County Public Transportation Authority (ICPTA)
- Craven County, including New Bern: Craven-Area Rural Transportation System (CARTS)
- Dare County: Dare County Transit System (DCTS)
- Duplin County: Duplin County Public Transportation
- Gates County: Gates County Inter-Regional Transportation System (GITS)
- Greenville, in-city only: GREAT Bus System
- Halifax County: Choanoke Public Transportation Authority (CPTA)
- Hertford County: Choanoke Public Transportation Authority (CPTA)
- Jones County: Craven-Area Rural Transportation System (CARTS)
- Martin County: Martin County Transit (MCT), including Williamston
- Northampton County: Choanoke Public Transportation Authority (CPTA)
- Pamlico County: Craven-Area Rural Transportation System (CARTS)
- Pasquotank County, including Elizabeth City: Inter-County Public Transportation Authority (ICPTA)
- Perquimans County, including Edenton: Inter-County Public Transportation Authority (ICPTA)
- Pitt County: Pitt Area Transit System (PATS), and inside Greenville, the GREAT Bus System
- Rocky Mount, in-city only: Tar River Transit
- Wilmington, and Wilmington-area only: Cape Fear Public Transportation Authority (Wave Transit)
- The United Way NC 2-1-1 website, an excellent source for information on community resources statewide, which lets you search by county, and by type of service.
- Our own Healthy Opportunities Pilot (HOP) program, which offers qualifying Medicaid enrollees help with such key concerns as food scarcity, housing, interpersonal violence/toxic stress, and transportation.
- The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline; simply dial 9-8-8 on your phone to be connected to help. This service is now national, but in N.C. is run by the nonprofit REAL Crisis Center.
Medical resource listings:
Please note that we are unable to verify the comprehensiveness of any of the website lists of local resources included below, and include them merely as a potential staring point for people who might be searching for similar healthcare services.
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers: A statewide listing of local treatment facilities; search by town or city name.