Coronavirus Information for Our Patients and the Public
We encourage you to educate yourself on COVID-19, but only through trusted medical sources, like your primary-care physician or medical practice, or through dedicated online professional health sites like the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Vidant Health, all of whom have devoted large portions of their websites to COVID-19.
- Search tool for testing sites. NCDHHS has an online search tool that lets you find COVID-19 vaccine providers by ZIP code, or by city or town. The site is regularly updated with current information, and is also available in Spanish. (If you experience any problems using the search tool, or have general vaccine questions, call 1-888-675-4567.)
- Community testing events. Statewide listing by county, with many events offering free COVID-19 testing. Contact the testing site before going, to confirm testing requirements, hours and registration.
NCDHHS has provided guidance for potential COVID-19 patients to include recommendations for patient testing:
The CDC has provided guidance on How COVID-19 Spreads.
Early into the U.S crisis, the CDC also released handouts that are very helpful in understanding the virus and its impacts:
- What You Need to Know About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- What to Do if You Are Sick with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Printable CDC COVID-19 safety posters for classrooms, medical offices
Hotlines and Help Lines
- Disaster Distress Helpline. A 24/7 multilingual hotline for people dealing with emotional distress from human or natural disasters. Call 1-800-985-5990, or text TALK WITH US to 66746.
- Mobile Crisis Services Access to Care Line. Experienced staff trained in dealing with and preventing crises, available 24/7 at 1-877-685-2415.
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. A 24/7 network of more than 200 crisis centers providing free, confidential emotional support. Call or text 988, or for online chat: 988lifeline.org.