Coronavirus Information for Our Patients and the Public
We encourage you to educate yourself on COVID-19, but only through trusted medical sources, like your primary-care physician or medical practice, or through dedicated online professional health sites like the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Vidant Health, all of whom have devoted large portions of their websites to COVID-19.
- Community Testing Events. Statewide listing by county, with many events offering free COVID-19 testing. Contact the testing site before going, to confirm testing requirements, hours and registration.
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) has provided guidance for potential COVID-19 patients to include recommendations for patient testing:
The CDC has provided guidance on How COVID-19 Spreads.
Early into the U.S crisis, the CDC also released handouts that are very helpful in understanding the virus and its impacts:
Hotlines and Help Lines
- Disaster Distress Helpline. A 24/7 multilingual hotline for people dealing with emotional distress from human or natural disasters. Call 1-800-985-5990, or text TALK WITH US to 66746.
- Mobile Crisis Services Access to Care Line. Experienced staff trained in dealing with and preventing crises, available 24/7 at 1-877-685-2415.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. A 24/7 network of crisis centers providing free, confidential emotional support. Call 1-800-273-8255.
Meals for Kids
Parents needing food assistance for their children can text FOODNC to 877-877 to locate nearby free-meal sites.
- El servicio de mensaje texto esta disponible en Español. Solo envia el texto COMIDA al 877-877.
Parents will enter their address, and then receive a text with the location and serving times for nearby pickup and drive-thru free-meal sites set up for families with children ages 18 and younger, including preschool children, who rely on free and reduced-price meals at school.
Parents can also call 2-1-1 to speak with an operator 24/7 who will help them locate meal sites in their community. Services are provided in English, Spanish and many other languages.